THE COMPELLA COMPRESSOR
PURPOSELY DESIGNED FOR THE COAL SEAM GAS INDUSTRY
EXCLUSIVE STATE OF THE ART TECHNOLOGY
Leading The Way From Fossil Fuels To Renewable Energy
This is a sustainable economic, environmental, and social transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy. The design was nurtured by out-come driven innovators committed to producing a compressor that can out perform any other in its field. The technology is wet gas tolerant, oil free with wide rangeability and has low electrical power consumption.
The Compella Compressor has 2 rotors. As the 2 rotors rotate the lobes of the ‘star’ roll around the mating sections of the outer rotor to squeeze the gas into progressively smaller cavities until it reaches the outlet.
01. uses no oil for sealing
02. the structures are machined to very high tolerances and
03. an abradable coating is used so the rotors seat themselves to create a seal
These features allow for the selected compression ratio to be maintained even with wet gas to lower the downhole pressure and maximise gas extraction.
The Compella Solution is proven to maintain compression even when pumping water mist.
Coal Seam Gas (CSG) is the fuel to support the Australian transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy. With Australia targeting net zero by 2050 this requires a significant transitory investment in renewable energy to take place over the next 20 years.
Queensland’s CSG will be fundamental to that transition with domestic gas playing a significant role in avoiding significant increases in energy costs. Queensland’s CSG participants are seeking to improve the economics of gas extraction. This will allow gas producers to increase returns from existing well infrastructure while reducing the overall cost of domestic gas.
A key impediment is that wells are often abandoned or suspended at ~50 psi (the level at which most of the supporting Queensland gas network operates), regardless of the remaining economic resource and significant production potential. Typically, operators use wellhead compression to increase efficiency and achieve low wellhead pressure. Yet, the recurrence of very high water content at pressure (water slugs) in CSG extraction displaces the oil used for sealing standard reciprocating and screw compressors. Standard compressors suffer from irregular operational functionality, a loss of compression and high mechanical stresses requiring regular workovers.
This lack of efficiency and increase in workover costs makes standard compressors uneconomic for CSG. Ineffective and uneconomic compression requires operators to seek alternative sources of gas, often at significant cost. A more effective and economic compression solution could
(1) maximise the extraction of existing economic resources and from the expansion into less permeable coal seams
(2) defer both the capex required for drilling new wells, and the final abandonment of wells by several years
(3) reducing the total number of new wells required for maximum reserves recovery
(4) simplify capex for downstream gathering system design and installations for new gas field development, and remove or defer the requirement for substantial gas treatment facilities
The Compella Compression Solution is the ‘missing link’ and provides the innovation that the industry has been seeking to improve efficiencies and economics.
The Compella Compression Solution is the ‘missing link’ the industry has been seeking to improve efficiencies and economics. Compella Compression (Compella) is based in Brisbane, Australia. It’s founders have over  years of CSG, O&G and wellhead compression experience. They know the market, they know the issues and they have the solution. Compella Compression has been tailoring the application of the technology to CSG applications since 2014.
The Compella Solution allows for greater operational and financial management of gas production and reserves while being able to operate efficiently under high stresses due to wet gas. Benefits that this creates both from a Gas Company perspective but also from an Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) lens.
Environmental, Social & Governance:
▪ Social | Safety | Remote monitoring provides for minimal site access requirements. Saving time, avoiding risk (saving lives) and providing real time data on well performance
▪ Environmental | The Compella Solution can also be used for carbon capture and storage solutions by switching the flow back into the existing wells
▪ Environmental | With higher efficiency fewer wells are required to be drilled to satisfy demand. This creates less of an impact on the environment and reduces rehabilitation requirements and liabilities. Further, it reduces the requirement to extend supporting infrastructure
▪ Environmental | The Compella Solution allows for gas extraction in low downhole gas environments (such as low permeable coal seams) which means there is less (or no) fracking required to provide an economic flow of gas.
The Coal Seam Gas producers have discovered and developed most prolific CSG areas. These areas are depleting, and the remaining new areas are less productive and provide increasingly new challenges for capex and opex to continue the economic delivery of gas to market.
The Compella Compression Innovation Addresses These Issues
▪ Increased IRR per well | Improved cash flow, get to gas faster and increase the gas extracted per $ of capex spend (due to higher drainage per well). The Compella Solution also extends the life of existing wells which would typically be sealed at <50psi
▪ Increased IRR per field | Increased drainage per well means larger spacing between wells and less capex required to tap a field to satisfy demand
▪ ESG | ESG benefits outlined above which can lead to enhanced ESG scores and potential for cheaper access to capital.